The deal is to remodel on new supply versions
Carrefour and Google have entered into a strategic partnership. The joint venture is based on three schemes: accessibility of Carrefour on a new Google shopping website and Assistant in France, design of a Carrefour-Google innovation lab and digitization spurt of the Carrefour Group.
Google, as a result of this partnership, will bring its technology and skills in AI, cloud, and new consumer shopping interfaces like the Google Assistant, while Carrefour will bring its product expertise and competence in logistics and sales. To bring together the expertise of both companies to offer consumers new and innovative commerce experiences in France, whether that’s in a store, online, on smartphones, or with voice is the common goal of this partnership.
"I would like to thank the Google teams, both in France and the United States for this strategic partnership for our two groups. This alliance makes Carrefour the first partner of Google on grocery e-commerce in Europe, creating a strong bond between the two companies. It also marks an important step in the new story written by Carrefour since the announcement of the Carrefour 2022 plan. It allows us to accelerate our digital evolution and get a head start in deploying the omni-channel approach we want to offer our customers," said Alexandre Bompard, CEO of Carrefour.
The three proposals comprise:
- The Carrefour footprint in the digital ecosystem is enhanced by a new buying experience from Carrefour across Google platforms (Assistant, Google Home and a new experience on the Google Shopping website in France). Users to be offered with simplified and intuitive buying experiences is the common goal of both companies. Users in France, by early 2019, will be able to shop for groceries through a variety of channels including on Google Home, by Google Assistant on their mobile phone, or on the Web via the new Google shopping destination in France, and items can be delivered to their homes or available for pick up in-store.
- In partnership with Google Cloud, an innovation lab to be opened in Paris, where Carrefour engineers will work side-by-side with Google Cloud AI experts to co-create new consumer experiences.
- The digital transformation of Carrefour Group to be accelerated by a training group. Aiming to incorporate a culture of quick decision-making and agility within the group, the initiative has been in progress since the beginning of the year. With the support of Google Cloud, more than a thousand employees of Carrefour will be trained in six months. Cloud’s G Suite productivity will be deployed by Carrefour to more than 160,000 Carrefour employees; and the use of Google Cloud Platform infrastructure will be accelerated.
“With Alexandre Bompard and his team, we wanted to explore new distribution models and e-commerce technologies to deliver simple, frictionless and deeply relevant experiences for shoppers in France. I’m happy we’re contributing to Carrefour’s digital transformation through the deployment Google Cloud Platform and G Suite's collaboration tools,” said Sébastien Missoffe, VP and Managing Director of Google France. PWKD13062018
- Carrefour Group Wins 2018 European Convenience Retail Sustainability Award
- France: Carrefour “100% Recyclable, Reusable or Compostable Packaging”
- Belgium: Carrefour Automated Food Drive Launch
- France: Carrefour First Pedestrian Drive Outlets Launch
- France: Carrefour Introduces Mobile Payment ‘Carrefour Pay’