Customers can earn points that can be redeemed for money off on groceries or fuel
Southeastern Grocers Inc. has unveiled a new loyalty program for consumers with rewards for food purchases that can be used at the fuel service station. Customers at Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie, Harveys Supermarket and Fresco y Más stores are enabled by the new SE Grocers Rewards program to earn points that can be redeemed for money off on groceries or fuel at participating Shell-branded fuel stations.
Bonus points on hundreds of grocery products can also be used by customers along with finding additional ways to earn points on their receipts. The company's traditional loyalty program, Plenti is replaced by SE Grocers Rewards which rolled out in April 2017, but ended July 10 and any unused points were rolled over to the new rewards program. Southeastern Grocers and Shell are offering the first 100 customers at select Shell stations, up to $40 per vehicle of free fuel to kick off the new program.
After its recent emergence from Chapter 11 bankruptcy in late May, Southeastern Grocers is looking for new ways to boost its bottom line and the latest rewards program signals it. As per data from Excentus-Ipsos, the move may be a smart one with fuel savings sitting at the top of preferred currency for loyalty programs.
No specialty or reward program, as per the research, has seen as much participation growth as fuel savings, where it has risen 10% in the last two years. With 39% valuing fuel to 35% preferring money, fuel deals even trumps cash back on credit cards.
Hy-Vee, Giant, Stop & Shop, Albertsons, Safeway and Schnucks are other grocers offering similar programs. There are consumers who have suggested that they go out of their way to shop at a store that offers fuel rewards. Whether SE Grocers Rewards is enough to turn the tide for the grocery chain with such a crowded market will be an interesting watch.
Southeastern Grocers President and CEO Anthony Hucker said, “We are committed to providing a loyalty program for our customers and associates that will best meet their everyday needs. We have listened loudly to our customers about all of the things they value with our current rewards program and how we can make our next loyalty program even better.”
Southeastern Grocers’ new loyalty program could be made especially attractive today with the rise in fuel costs. It remains to be seen if this is enough for the regional shop to fend off competition from the likes of Walmart or Publix. PWKD27072018
- Oman: Shell Chooses Ooredoo As Digital Partner Of Choice
- England UK: GeniePoint MFG EV Charging Expands
- Oman: Shell & National Plastic Factory Supplier Deal Agreement
- Philippines: Hyundai Reaffirms Shell As Best Fuels Partner For Their Cars
- USA: Bona Design Lab Creates Prototype Design For Shell Select Convenience Store
Latest from PWKD
- Philippines: Northern Star Energy Corp. Finalist In S&P Global Energy Awards
- UK: Certas Energy Selects Orbis Tech’s EPOS Solution
- Australia: Woolworths’ Funds From ‘Bag for Good’ For Landcare Grants Program
- Mexico: New Fuel Service Station Arrives in Zamora
- USA: Marathon Petroleum Rebranding SuperAmerica To Speedway