The project is to help 100 Aboriginal secondary school students
With the aim to develop and deliver a Resilience Program for young Indigenous students across Western Sydney, Viva Energy Australia (Viva Energy) has entered into a partnership with the National Aboriginal Sporting Chance Academy (NASCA).
An investment of $750,000 into the three-year program has been made by Viva Energy, which will help 100 Aboriginal secondary school students from Penrith, Blacktown and Campbelltown increase attendance at school, improve their health and emotional wellbeing, and prevent substance misuse. A funding of $450,000 will be made by NASCA to the project.
With the intent to improve participation in a range of educational, recreational and cultural activities, the program will support vulnerable young people by providing study support and mentoring.
NASCA CEO, Leanne Townsend said that education is vital for anyone to succeed in life and this program aims to lift the current 32% Year 12 completion rate for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander youths in the greater western Sydney region and bring it more into line with the 89% national completion rate for all Australians. “We are very thankful to be partnering with Viva Energy to help provide students with a supportive framework for success and an environment that fosters cultural pride."
Viva Energy’s CEO Scott Wyatt said, “We are delighted to be working with the NASCA to help drive positive social change within the communities that need it. This partnership further supports the work that we do within our community program to address issues of mental health, Indigenous participation and substance misuse. It will also provide a valuable opportunity for our employees to become involved in the project via a mentoring program.”
Viva Energy’s Indigenous Participation work is complemented by this partnership, including a partnership with the Cathy Freeman Foundation and the Council for Aboriginal Alcohol Program Services. PWKD12072018
- Australia: Viva Energy Completes Westside Petroleum Acquisition
- Australia: Viva Energy Sponsor Geelong Football AFL Women’s Team
- Australia: Viva Energy Arrives At Avalon Airport
- Australia: Canstar Blue Customer Award Presented To Shell Card
- Australia: Vitol To Float Viva Energy Stake In $2.3 Billion IPO
Latest from PWKD
- Philippines: Northern Star Energy Corp. Finalist In S&P Global Energy Awards
- UK: Certas Energy Selects Orbis Tech’s EPOS Solution
- Australia: Woolworths’ Funds From ‘Bag for Good’ For Landcare Grants Program
- Mexico: New Fuel Service Station Arrives in Zamora
- USA: Marathon Petroleum Rebranding SuperAmerica To Speedway